Friday, November 23, 2007

Choose Joy and Give Thanks

I could complain about a few things. I could complain about my hair. I could complain about my clothes. I could complain about my body. I could complain about my skin. I could complain about my finances. I could complain about my kids. When I really think about it, there are quite a few things that I could really complain about. However, I don't. I used to, but not anymore. What good would it do? It won't get me those things that I want any faster. Actually when I used to subscribe to this method of constant complaining, it made me feel even worse...depressed even. A depressed Christian (This is actually an oxymoron because the pair of words is in direct opposition to one another; They're contradictory.) is easily defeated, because they are allowing their thoughts to run wild. We must control our thoughts. We don't have to receive negative thoughts. Whenever we get one, we should rebuke it and oppose it with the corresponding word of God spoken out of our mouths. I make a conscious effort to control my thoughts. I keep my mind out of the gutter. Now, no matter the circumstance, no matter the situation, I choose joy. I choose to speak about the goodness of the Lord. I choose to speak about his good plans and intentions towards me. I begin each day by speaking Nehemiah 8:10 out of my mouth, "...for the joy of the Lord is my strength." This scripture causes me to think about his goodness..to think about his greatness...To think about his mightiness... This should cause me to develop a strength in him. A strength that is unshakable. I should begin each day knowing that he has me... period, bottom line. He has me despite the obstacle, despite the problem, and despite the crisis. This is cause for joy! Once I make him my focus and trust him to keep me, he does. He keeps me time after time, after time, after time. I can see what he has done in my life. Then I can say, "Thank you Lord. I'm not where I used to be. Thank you Lord. I'm not who I used to be. Thank you Lord. I don't do what I used to do." Only then I can choose joy and be sincerely thankful.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Choose Joy and Give Thanks, timing couldn't have been perfect. Eveyone in my home was complaining and whining about trivial matters two minutes before I read this. My daughter asked me mom aren't you mad, and the response I gave her was similiar but you actually gave me the scriture Nehemiah 8:10 to apply to my daily confessions. THANKS!

Erika said...

No, thank you. Applying God's word is key to enjoying his best for us.

Andrea Graham said...

Congratulations, your post has been chosen for inclusion in the Carnival of Christian Advice

Erika said...

Andrea, thank you for including me in your carnival.