Saturday, November 10, 2007

Flourishing Under the Hand of Adversity

I will never forget my college years. They were one of the most STRESSFUL times in my life. They were just plain difficult. I was a young, bitter, broke (financially and emotionally), divorced mother attempting to get a degree, so that I could support myself and my child. During that time, nothing seemed to go my way. I had a work study job and at times worked two jobs, but I still didn't have enough money. Although I was blessed to be given a car free and clear, it seemed to break down all the time at the most inopportune times. I never had enough time. I didn't have enough time to spend with my child. I didn't have enough time to do homework. I didn't have enough time to have down time. I was always in a rush. Time seemed to be a rare commodity then. The odds seemed to be against me. Each morning I prayed for the Lord to keep me in my right mind. I hoped every day would not be the big day...the day I lost my mind. To the physical eye, I probably looked like a basket case. What the enemy meant to destroy me, the Lord used to build me. Spiritually, the Lord was growing me (Although, I didn't know it then). In the first chapter of the book of Exodus, the Israelites were growing in the midst of a horrible situation. They were forced into labor by the Egyptians. The Israelites became the slaves of Egypt. The Egyptians worked them unmercilessly. It seemed like the odds were against them. However, the Egyptians found that the more they "...oppressed the Israelites, the more they multiplied and spread..." Here Pharaoh and the Egyptians were trying to break the Israelites with hard labor, but all the while they were growing, multiplying. Under Pharaoh's oppressive hand, they were increasing. While under the strongest of adversities they were ever increasing. The Egyptians made their lives bitter with hard labor and worked them ruthlessly and still they grew. How great is that? In the natural, I'm sure the Israelites must have looked like they were at their lowest point. They probably looked like they wouldn't make it another day. What the enemy meant to destroy the Israelites, God used to expand them. In the spiritual, they were huge! In the spiritual they were, multiplying, growing, increasing, gaining, and spreading. God was preparing them for where they were going. Wherever we may be in life, God is there. When a situation may seem dismal, bleak, or just plain bad, God is there. He is there turning that situation around and working it out for our good. God is using it to grow us and expand us. He is processing us for the next level. He is sending us through a process, so that we will be prepared for that next level. We have to experience some things that will grow us up in the Lord. Is this a comfortable process? No. Is it necessary? Definitely. Although those college years were rough, I learned so much. Now, I know those years served as my growing time. I was being trained. I had to grow. I couldn't go to that next level in the state that I had been previously. It wouldn't have worked. I wouldn't have had what it took to be successful. I learned to trust God. Those times taught me to be diligent, determined, motivated, brave, strong, committed... and the list continues. I took all of the training I received with me to the next level, and I was successful. I continue to be successful because of what the Lord birthed out of me then. If you find yourself in a situation similar to this, ask the Lord what you need to learn where you are.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I also want to go to the next level in the lord, but I know that I'm not ready yet, there are some issues in my life that I have to change first, but I am praying & working toward change. But I know through my faith I will get there and this is preparing me for the next level. Thanks for this valuable lesson.

Erika said...

Thanks for your response. Whatever changes you need to make, do them through the Lord. Ask him to reveal to you exactly what changes need to be made. Pray for motivation, discipline ,and self control. Motivation to make the changes. Discipline to stick with making the changes if it gets rough. Self control to mantain the changes. Be blessed and successful in the Lord. I will be in prayer for you.

SAJ said...

Are you reading my mind or what! I am right in the middle on my process and it is PAINFUL to say the least. I know things are working for my good... I just don't see how and I am really trying to stay encouraged! Thanks sharing a timely word.

Erika said...

Please do stay encouraged. The Lord has a plan for each of us. We just have to receive his plan. So many times we know how we want things to go, and we make that our plan. We have to pray for ears to hear and eyes to see what he is revealing to us. So that we know what he would have us to do. Remeber, "...for the joy of the Lord is our strength."