Monday, February 18, 2008

A Mind to Serve

The one thing that continues to hit home with me on this Christian walk is that this life is not about me. For longer than I care to remember, I made everything about me, even as a Christian. I was totally self absorbed. I know some of you may be thinking, "Well, it's about time you figured that one out. That's Christianity 101." It took me far too long to reach the conclusion that everything does not revolve around me. My old perspective was, "What about me!" Notice, I ended the question with an exclamation point instead of a question mark. That's because I didn't ask the question, I demanded it. I demanded that everyone take notice of me and my wants. If I was tired and didn't feel like cooking I thought... If I changed the baby last time, I thought...If I couldn't get a new outfit, I thought, "What about me!" I was totally consumed by thoughts of myself. I put me first, and I expected everyone else to put me first too. It's been a process, but I've learned that this life is so much bigger than me. Once I got the revelation that God has my complete back... that my life is in his hands... that he has good plans and intentions towards me, and that he has plans to prosper me, I realized that He had me better than I could ever have myself. I had to take the trust that I had in myself and place it in him. Since I reached this understanding, I've had to beat my flesh and consider others, not just when it was convenient, but at all times. I had to actually practice putting the needs of others first. Believe me when I tell you that this was by no means easy for me to do. Talk about painful, my flesh was so uncomfortable with putting the needs of others first that it wailed under the pressure. Honestly, doing this right thing felt so wrong to my flesh. Boy, I had to talk myself into it. While serving someone else, " I'd have to tell myself, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. I am more than a conqueror through Christ who loves me." From time to time, my flesh would attempt to rise up and whisper, "What about..." I wouldn't let it finish. I'd stomp it right back down again. Over time, it became less and less difficult to do. I can now say that serving is a way of life for me. Instead of saying, "What about me!" I say, "What about you?" I know that my role in the kingdom of God is to serve others. That's what I do. I am a servant of the Lord. This is what all Christians are called to do. We are to imitate the number one servant, Jesus Christ. In Matthew 20:26-28, Jesus shared with his disciples, "Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be your slave-just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many." If Jesus came to serve, without consdering himself, then who was I for all those years to only consider myself? Who was I to think, "This serving thing is too hard." Jesus came to serve. Imagine being born to serve. As deep as that is to me, that's exactly what I and all Christians are called to do. The nerve of me. I placed my self in the position of being great without the work of servitude that was involved. As a Christian, I have the mind of Christ. Since Christ had a mind to serve, we should too.

No comments: